Michoel, a regular contributor on Beyond BT, posted a comment on Kressel’s Cutting Connections post which we felt deserves attention.
I am, bli neder, going to take a haitus from personal web use. If anyone sees me on this site in the next 3 months, please tell me to get off immediately. I am going to list here some problems with web use as I see it. Understood, many don’t see these things as problems or manage to deal with the problems easily. So please don’t post to upshlug all my kashes. If you have advice as to how to deal with the kashes, please post them. Thank you to Mark and Dave for hosting a site where I have learned a lot and hopefully shared a few ideas that others have benefitted from.
1. Bitul z’man. A very big subject with lots of implications
2. Feelings of depression or mental sluggishness resulting from the media of interent use, regardless of content.
3. Weakening of gidrei tzinus in male – female communications
4. Reading apikorsis which weakens emunah
5. Seeing things that are immodest, even at sites like JPost, CNN etc
6. Feeding compulsiveness
7. “Rewiring” of one’s eye-brain connections, training the eye to look where it wants to
8. Fueling of midas hamachlokes and the need to have the last word
9. Feeding the need to know the latest which relates to weakening of the ability to defer pleasure
10. Relating to “e-people” instead of real people in all there complexity and greatness
11. Physical health issues. Sitting for hours slupted over the computer, failure to excercise
12. Failing to defer the need to share good or original thoughts as opposed to “Letting it bake”
13. Using company time to be on the web for personal use which can be a very grave issur. Also, having a hand in causing others to be over on bitul m’lacha. Even if I can control myself, how do I know whether yenem can?
14. The big LH (Loshon Hora)