Rabbi Dov Brezak give a shiur entitled “Staying Focused: How to Build and Maintain a Loving Relationship with Each of Your Children”. Rabbi Brezak is an internationally renowned lecturer and author of Artscroll’s “Chinuch in Turbulent Times” and the acclaimed “Chinuch Concepts” tape series.
You can download the shiur here. (right click and save as)
Here are some points from the shiur:
– Our goal as parents is not so much that our children should become a mensch or a servant of Hashem, but rather that they should want to strive for those goals.
– The key is to create positive ongoing relationships with your children.
– Catch them doing things right – even minor things.
– Be quiet in the face of power struggles.
– Preserve their dignity.
– Don’t expect them to be there, help them get there.
– Set them up for success
Listen to the mp3 to get the full benefit of this great shiur.